Healthier Blueberry Oat Bran Coffeecake Muffins
- Ready In:
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups oat bran
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup dried blueberries
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance light butter spread
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For topping, in a small bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, spice, and butter. use pastry blender, your hands, or two knives to blend until crumbly. Add chopped nuts. Mix well.
- Lightly coat bottoms of twelve 21/2 -inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine all dry ingredient, use whisk to combine well. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Then combine all other ingredients EXCEPT dried fruit.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture. FOLD until damp, careful not to stir too many times.
- Add fruit, fold in gently.
- Divide evenly into muffin tin. Sprinkle on topping and press lightly down on muffin.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!