Ginger Spice Crunchy Granola
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup almonds, sliced or coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried fruits, if desired (I usually add sweetened dried cranberries)
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine brown sugar, orange juice, and molasses in a large pot; stir frequently until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- Add oats, nuts, and spices to brown sugar mixture.
- Mix thoroughly until all oats are coated.
- Spread onto cookie sheets and bake 40-50 minutes, stirring once, until golden brown.
- When granola has cooled completely, add fruits if you wish and store in airtight container.
Join The Conversation
This granola is delicious, crunchy and sweet. I was surprised to see there is no oil in it. It has a lot of sugar so over time I may see if I can get by with less and still keep the crunchy consistency. I was also surprised that this recipe doesn't use any crystallized ginger. The first time I made it I added it, but I'm not sure it added noticeable flavor beyond the ground ginger. The second time I skipped the crystallized ginger and I am not noticing its absence at all. I can also say that in my haste, both times I added the dried fruits (cranberries and dates) along with the nuts etc so they cooked along with everything else, and that was fine. I think the granola is still great even though I missed following the recipe to the letter.
I"ve made many many granola recipes here on Zaar and this is a first for me using these combination of spices in the total mix- ie: cardamon, nutmeg, ginger. Also, a first for me using o.j. in a granola recipe. The total combination of ingredients work well together and makes for a very tasty granola. The smell throughout the house while this is baking is wonderful. A definite repeat.