Low Carb Sirloin Steak With Queso Shrimp Sauce
photo by Paradisepop2
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs trimmed sirloin steaks (4 steaks)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, diced, approximately 1/2 cup
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomatoes
- 6 ounces raw shrimp, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded or 2 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese
- Mix salt, pepper and garlic powder together then sprinkle on both sides of the steaks and set steaks aside to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over med/high heat and tilt skillet to coat.
- Sear steaks for 3 minutes on each side for med/rare (go 1 minute longer per side for medium.
- Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet and add zucchini, onions and tomato.
- Saute for 3 minutes until veggies start to color slightly, stirring often.
- Add shrimp and cook another 2 minutes until shrimp turns pink.
- Add broth and cream and bring to a boil then turn off the heat and add the cheese, stirring to melt.
- Spoon sauce over the steaks OR slice steaks very thinly and stir back into the veggie sauce mixture then mound on plates.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a GREAT low carb recipe! Definitely company-worthy! I added 1/2 teaspoon cayenne to the cheese sauce and doubled the vegetables. The cheese sauce turns out very smooth. I did barbecue the steaks, though, using Ina Garten's foolproof steak recipe for a charcoal grill, and I also tossed in a couple handfuls of soaked mesquite chips over the coals. I am always a bit nervous about grilling steaks (they're a treat at our house), but this came out terrific!