Lighter Mongolian Beef
photo by Jennifer78
- Ready In:
- 1 lb flank steak, sliced across the grain into thin 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- In a small heat proof bowl combine water, soy sauce, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. In another bowl toss cornstarch with steak and let it sit for 10 minutes or so.
- Heat half of canola oil in a wok over medium heat. (I just used a big frying pan and real olive oil cooking spray.) Add ginger and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds and then pour in soy mixture. Bring to a boil and allow to cook 2-3 minutes. Pour back into bowl.
- Add the rest of the oil to the empty wok/skillet or spray with cooking more spray and brown the beef over medium-high heat. Once the meat is browned pour the sauce back into the wok/skillet with the beef. Continue to cook until the sauce is thickened to your liking. If it gets too thick, add more water. Add green onions and broccoli right before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!