Libbie's Creamed Asparagus over Toast
photo by Dienia B.
- Ready In:
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces; cover with water and boil until tender.
- Add flour to milk; stir so there are no lumps.
- Drain asparagus, keeping 1 cup liquid.
- Add the milk mixture, salt and pepper. Cook until thick.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread, cut into points (halves).
- Pour creamed asparagus over toast.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is as good as asparagus gets. We had it every spring when I was a child. My kids love it too. I usually saute the asparagus in BUTTER and then make the roux in the same pan with the asparagus. Add milk after the flour and butter cooks for a few minutes to avoid a raw flour taste.Just a dash of garlic powder and onion powder will give it a nice finish. Thanks for a trip down memory lane ! Give this a try, you'll love it as much as we do!
My dad always made creamed asparagus over toast when I was growing up! It is one of my favorite breakfasts, especially over grain bread! I make it slightly different making a roux out of 4Tbsp butter and 4Tbsp flour, then add 2 cups milk and some garlic powder, salt and pepper. Basically the same though...everyone should try this!