Lemon Yeast Cake from King Arthur
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- Grease a 10" tube pan.
- Combine 3/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Combine warm milk and melted butter, gradually add to flour mixture, mixing for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, and zest.
- Beat vigorously for 2 minutes.
- Spread dough evenly into pan.
- over, let rise for 1 hour.
- Towards the end of the cake's rising time, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the syrup thickens.
- Add lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Bake cake for 22-25 minutes, until tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Brush half syrup over cake and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto a rack set over parchment or a pan.
- Brush remaining syrup over newly exposed bottom crust.
- Turn cake right side up onto plate and cool completely.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
So far so good! On the plate cooling. The top of my cake is not smooth but the underside looked much like the photo. I decided to plate ut right side up. I had to substitute measurements to grams as i’m in Australia which can change the outcome a little. This is for my Bake Group that meets tommorow and Yeast baking is the theme. I’d love to tuck into a piece now but will wait. It’ll be interesting to see how it is tomorrow. What a great recipe!!
Photo may be seen here (in Savor): http://feastyoureyes.smugmug.com/<br/>I don't think that I have ever made a cake with yeast but it works great. The texture can best be described as a firm angel food. The lemon taste in the cake is very mild and with the ask for sugar (I used Splenda) it's not at all sweet. I added another 14 cup of Splenda to suite our taste. The glaze on the other hand packs a lemon punch when sampled but when it's absorbed by the cake it's wonderful. Mine set to make a crisp thin coating that crunched when sliced. I want to say that the recipe would work perfectly fine without the extra sweetening that I added for personal taste only. It's also fun to watch your cake rising! :D
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"