Leftover Turkey - Enchiladas
What to do with all the leftover Holiday Turkey Meat - This was a big hit, and a treat to have something spicy after holiday eating holiday leftovers for a few days.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups leftover cooked dark turkey meat, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced (to taste)
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, fresh minced (to taste)
- 3 cups enchilada sauce, divided (recipezaar $notetemplate1$)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, chopped fine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (any type will work)
- 8 -10 small flour tortillas, warmed (smaller size 6-8-inch)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained and diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a skillet to medium, add some oil and saute the onions for a few minutes then add the peppers and garlic and saute until the onion become translucent.
- Add Tomatoes, seasonings, Stir to combine.
- Add Turkey and 1 cup of enchilada sauce - stir - simmer until some of the liquid has evaporated (not too juicy any more).
- Add cream cheese and stir until well incorporated. Simmer for a few minutes longer.
- In a 9X13" pan add 1 cup of enchilada sauce and coat bottom of pan.
- Add about 1/4-1/3 cup of meat mixture to each tortillia - roll tortilla and place seem side down in a baking dish (just roll, don't fold ends).
- Pour remaining Enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake i for about 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and side are bubbling slightly.
- Variations - Add a can of black beans (rinsed and drained) to the meat mixture after incorporating the cream cheese.
- Toppings (suggestions) - Salsa, lettuce, Chopped Olives, Chopped Onion, Chopped tomatoes, chopped jalapeno's.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a perfect recipe for using up leftover turkey and I am sure chicken could be used also. I followed the recipe also exact but did use some white meat turkey as well. The only thing that I changed was the amount of hot peppers I used since we don't like things hot. (only added one instead of 3) Had plenty of leftover sauce and will attempt to freeze for another time although I am concerned about how well the cream cheese will hold up frozen. If anyone has ever tried it, let me know how it turned out. Will be saving this recipe for when leftovers are around!Reply
see 10 more