Jordanian Chicken Wraps
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) package slivered almonds
- 4 large onions
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup curry powder
- 1⁄8 cup coriander powder
- 1⁄8 cup ground sumac
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- lavash bread or 6 -8 tortillas
- Cook chicken in water flavored with a bay leaf, carrots, and additional coriander, ground pepper, and sumac until done.
- Strain and save the broth.
- Reduce broth to make about 5 cups and add additional chicken bullion, if desired.
- While the chicken cooks, toast the slivered almonds until light brown and fragrant.
- You may need to shake the pan or use a spatula to flip the nuts and keep them from burning.
- Allow chicken to cool enough to handle.
- Chop or pull apart chicken into small pieces.
- Saute sliced onions in olive oil until they begin to turn translucent.
- Add chicken pieces and more oil to coat, if necessary.
- Add large quantities of coriander, sumac, curry powder, ground pepper, and salt.
- Add about a cup or two of the broth and mix.
- Keep adding spices, oil, and/or broth as needed to let the chicken become very soft and moist with a rich yellow color and flecked thoroughly with sumac (the red/brown spots).
- This may take awhile.
- Add toasted almonds and stir.
- Cut Lavash bread in half, or use tortillas.
- Place one cup of filling on bread.
- Fold like a burrito, wrapping fully.
- Stack in a pile on a plate.
- Leave to cool until comfortable to touch.
- Eat with your hands.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!