Jelly Doughnut Muffins
photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil or 6 tablespoons melted cooled butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jelly or 4 tablespoons raspberry jelly
For the topping
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with 12 muffin paper liners.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then beat in the milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined; do not overmix.
- Spoon half the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Add a teaspoon of jelly to the center of each then spoon in the remaining batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Melt the butter. Spread the sugar in a wide, shallow bowl. When the muffins are baked, let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Dip the tops of the muffins in the melted butter then roll in the sugar.
- Serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These turned out lovely! Very light and tasty. I would make sure you use the superfine sugar. It will definitely make a difference in how light they are. I only had regular sugar but ran it through a mini food processor for a little bit to make superfine. (Heard that trick several years ago and it has saved me running to the store a couple times! A blender or coffee grinder works too.) I used homemade strawberry jam which was thicker/denser than jelly, so it sank to the bottom. However, nobody cared. :) We all loved them. Can't wait to try this recipe again with other jellies and maybe even lemon curd. I also only needed about half the butter and sugar for coating the tops. Thanks, Redsie!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Canadian girl that loves to cook for herself and for everyone around her!! I always enjoyed cooking but more so since I started taking better care of myself by eating healthier food (I am a Weight Watchers Lifetime member!). I still love my chocolate though! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/samethingsticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/SoupsandsaladSTICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/PastastickerJPEG.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/MuffinLovesticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/L%5B1%5D.F-stickJPEG.jpg"> <img src="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/marienixon_715/kittencaljpg.jpg"> <img src="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/Spelling-Bee-stick2jpg.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TasteofYellow.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/CLC1.gif"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Derfcookathon.jpg">