- Ready In:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 strawberry jelly crystals, 85g packet of (or raspberry jelly crystals)
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 125 g butter (4 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar (finest caster sugar you can find)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 1⁄2 cups desiccated coconut
- Pour the boiling water into a large heatproof bowl or jug. Sprinkle the jelly crystals into jug and stir until crystals are completely dissolved, then stir in cold water.
- Pour the jelly mixture into a large, shallow dish, about 20 x 25 cm.
- (approx 8 x 10 in), cover and refrigerate for about 2-2 1/2 hours, or until jelly is just starting to set. Jelly must be of the right consistency, because if the jelly is set too hard it will not stick to the cakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) & lightly grease 3 x 12-hole shallow patty-pan tins (approx 1 1/2-tablespoon capacity). Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until just combined. Add the flour, milk and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Spoon tablespoons of the mixture into prepared tins. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. They're ready when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove the cakes from tins and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Remove jelly from refrigerator and quickly roll a cake in the jelly, coating it evenly. Toss the jelly-covered cake in coconut until it's coated all over. Repeat with remaining cakes and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!