Italian Easter Rice Pie
photo by Lisa R.
- Ready In:
- 4 prepared pie crusts
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 3 lbs ricotta cheese
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees and line 2 9" Pie Pans with the crusts, refrigerate and reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the next 6 ingredients with a large spoon until thoroughly combined (no electric mixers here, it'll ruin the rice).
- Divide filling between 4 prepared pie crusts, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until filling is set in the middle (no longer giggling).
- Allow to cool completely before serving, this actually tastes best when refrigerated overnight.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe was by far the closest I found, (after a LOT of searching), to how my family used to make it. We just make this filling and put it in a glass baking dish without a crust. The only change I made was adding a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. It was PERFECT!!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!
Wow, Every Easter I make all my Nanny's favorites, and this is the one pie I could never find the right recipe for. This is it! I will add that it definately makes 4 pies, NOT 2. But like the other review, whose complaining? More for me! I made it last night with my Italian Easter Pie (the one with meats & cheeses) and My PIneapple Ricotta pie for tomorrow...Thank god for the extra fridge. One of the pies is already gone because of all the "little tastes" everyone wanted. Thank you, this will now be part of our tradition! Italian Mom of 2
This recipe was GREAT! It tastes just like the rice pie I remember eating at my dear Aunts house when I was a kid. I love it! The only thing this recipe needs is a quantity adjustment. It actually makes more than 2 pies. I should have known by the 12 eggs but, I wasn't thinking. After following the recipe I ended up with 4 pies!I love this pie so much that I ate a whole one by myself that day. Rice Pie for breakfast,Lunch and dinner. Yummm!! Thanks for a great recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I enjoy anything from 'spray cheese' on Ritz Crackers to foie gras torchon on toast points