Irish Whiskey-Glazed Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Irish Whiskey Glaze
- 1 cup Irish whiskey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease and flour a standard tube pan.
- Cook sweet potato in boiling water until tender; or, for richer flavor, bake in the oven. Cool, peel and mash until you have 1 cup puree.
- Cream butter together with sugars in a large mixing bowl. Mix in sweet potato puree. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and add alternately with milk. Pour into pan and bake 60 to 70 minutes.
While cake is baking, make Irish Whiskey Glaze:
- Combine whiskey, sugar and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar.
- When cake tests done remove to a rack. Pour a portion of glaze over hot cake in pan. Let soak in a little before adding all the glaze. Cool completely in pan and gently remove to a plate.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to try growing small amounts of many different fruits and veg and discovered a website that sells tiny sample packets of seeds for 35c. http://www.artisticgardens.com/ As a beginner cook I found Adele Davis's book "Let's Cook It Right" very helpful. This is not a recipe book (although there are some in there), but an explanation of the science of cooking. What heat does to food, how one method makes meat tough but another tenderizes it, how to cook a moist turkey, that sort of thing.