photo by breezermom
- Ready In:
- 0.4 (7 inch) pita bread
- 2 teaspoons garlic, bottled minced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, part-skim preshredded
- 1⁄2 cup vidalia onions or 1/2 cup other sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
- 4 cups gourmet salad greens
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Spread 1/2 teaspoon garlic on each pita. Sprinkle each pita with 1/4 cup cheese, and divide onion evenly among pitas. Bake at 475° for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cheese is bubbly.
- While pitas bake, combine vinegar, oil, and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in tomatoes, olives, and basil. Add salad greens, and toss gently to coat.
- Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each pita with about 1 cup salad. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota and moved to Ohio in 1978. It was quite a culture shock going from the city to living next to the Amish. I spend most of my time cooking, cleaning and caring for my four kids. I have abandoned cookbooks and now cook from favorite, wilted recipe pages and the internet. I fell in love with my Italian family recipes (Scavo, Rotella, Scalzo, Micelli, Grande, Gigliotti) and my Mom's homecooked meals.