Homemade Guinness Mustard
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 ounces white mustard seeds
- 2 ounces black mustard seeds
- 3 ounces soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Guinness stout or 3 tablespoons dark beer
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a food processor and blend until the seeds are roughly crushed. With the motor still running, gradually add the vinegar and blend until well mixed.
- Add the beer and blend briefly.
- Transfer the mustard to a bowl and leave to stand for one hour to thicken, then transfer to sterilised dry jars.
- Cover the surface of each with a disc of waxed paper, waxed side down, and leave until cold.
- Top the cold jars with airtight lids, label and store in a cool dark place.
- The mustard should keep for 3-6 months.
- For Vegetarian use a Vegetarian dark beer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have seen this recipe by James Martin before - but thought I would try it for ZWT3! I had all the ingredients to hand - and the mustard was superb - we ate it with some home-made beef & potato pies, excellent choice of condiment. It took my mustard nearly an hour and a half to thicken - and then it was not as thick as commercial mustards, which is good! I think this will be much more refined after a few weeks left to mature - an excellent condiment for red meats however.Thanks for posting! FT:-)
I made 4x this recipe to give out as Christmas gifts and it made 12 very small almost baby size jars. At first the smell of vinegar was overwhelming so I got a little scared and added probably 1/2 cup of good honey to it. I don't think I needed to do that but it turned out fantastic. I waited 4 days before trying some on bread and wow! It starts off a little sweet and then pops SPICY in your mouth. I ended up calling it Spicy Guinness Mustard as it had quite the kick but so far one person I gave it to for Christmas has tried it and said they loved it too. Great Recipe!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)