Herbal Vinegar with Tarragon
- 2 cups fresh tarragon sprigs, chopped
- 1 quart white wine vinegar
- In a glass or stainless steel sauce pan heat white wine vinegar on the stove to where it is warm, but not boiling
- Bruise tarragon and loosely fill clean glass jars.
- Pour the warmed vinegar to fill each glass jar and cap with an acid-proof lid. Store in a cool, dark place and shake daily for 2 weeks
- After two weeks have passed test for flavor; if a stronger taste is desired, strain the vinegar and repeat using fresh herbs.
- Store as it is or strain through cheesecloth and rebottle.
- Add a few fresh sprigs of tarragon to the bottle for identification purposes and visual appeal.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This has been waiting in my fridge for over a month. Having had limited use of a kitchen for the past few months, I hadn't had much opportunity to use it, but we finally had fish last week and I put it to the test. Honestly, I've never had tarragon vinegar before and wasn't sure if I would like, so I quartered the recipe (1/2 cup tarragon, 1 cup vinegar) and it seems to have worked fine. Turns out I do like it, but DH is not a huge fan. I think the smaller quantity will last long enough since I'm the only one eating it. The directions were very easy to follow and it was a great experience.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><br /> <br />My most used and favorite cookbook is the 1946 edition of Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking School handed down to me from my Mother. <br /> <br />My most favorite kitchen utensils are a set of Johnson & Wales knives given to me by my mother, a professional chef. <br /> <br />I enjoy traveling to exotic places, trying new foods and bringing home rare ingredients to expirement with. <br /> <br />I work fulltime as a lab technician for a local diagnostic center. In addition to that, during my free time I'm either at the gym, listening to music, tending to my herb garden and/or trying out new recipes & ideas in the kitchen. <br /> <br />I am a classically trained singer and musician, passionate about music. <br /> <br />My favourite thing to do is sit outside in my garden with my husband, a glass of wine, good food, music & a few good friends. <br /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedHostChallengeBanner.gif alt= /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /></p>