Healthy Vegan Muffins
photo by Xanthia
- Ready In:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice (or mace)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I use turbinado sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (I use blackstrap molasses)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat over to 375°F; prepare a 12-muffin tin with paper liners or non-stick spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, sugar, raisins and flax seeds (If you don't have ground flax seeds you can puree whole flax seeds with a couple of tablespoons of water and just add them to the wet ingredients).
- In a small bowl, whisk the molasses, applesauce, soymilk and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is blended.
- Distribute batter evenly in the 12-muffin tin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out mostly clean.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a native Northern Californian of English parents, live with a Lebanese man and love to travel and experience different cultures and cuisines. All of these things influence my cooking. I buy almost all of my produce at the farmers market every week and then I make a list of the veggies I hauled home that week and look for new ways to cook them. I have also experimented with raw foods and we've been drinking green smoothies for breakfast since early in 2009 (to try this out yourself just throw a handful of washed spinach into a fruit smoothie - you won't even taste it and if you add blueberries you won't see it either - great way to get greens in a 2 year old). My current smoothie includes ground flax seeds, coconut water, protein powder and a banana and a mixture of other fruit in addition to 5-6 cups of spinach and kale.