photo by SEvans
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cups hash browns
- 6 breakfast sausage (casings removed)
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 4 cups diced bread
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Non stick spray an 8" X 8" oven safe pan/casserole dish.
- Remove breakfast sausages from casings and break up sausage meat with a fork.
- Pan fry until no longer pink - but not too crispy breaking appart the bigger bits.
- In a separate pan - melt butter and saute the onions for approx 3 mins - until they just begin to be opaque - add the hashbrowns and fry for approximately 5 - 6 minutes stirring frequently for even cooking.
- In a bowl - combine the eggs, milk, mustard and salt and pepper (and/or any seasonings you like).
- When your hashbrowns are done - put them evenly on the bottom of your casserole dish. Then layer the bread cubes. Next comes the sausage meat - distribute it evenly over the bread bits. Now pour the milk and eggs over the entire dish. Top with cheese. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.
- This recipe serves 4 people - one large piece each. This meal is filling and can very easily be doubled. Try other cheeses for deeper richer flavors.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi and thank you for visiting my about me page... I have 2 very handsome sons that are my pride and joy. My partner is the man i was to marry when i was 18 years old - unfortunately we got cold feet and i moved away - we have reunited after searching for each other for 25 years and are making our home in Calgary - we are eventually going to make it to the altar. Our rescue dog Nikki and my son's Cat Saichel are our fur babies. I was the lucky recipient of a premium membership donated by a very generous chef here at Zaar and to show my appreciation i have tried to continue to fulfill my responsibilities to ensure premimum membership continues. However, I have run into a little snag but am working on it. I am looking forward to the day when I can reciprocate and offer someone else the joy of premium. Pet peeves in life are inconsiderate & ignorant people & slow drivers. Life goes by fast - why not drive the same speed......