Hamburger Aalsuppe - Hamburg Eel Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 lbs eel, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup white wine (Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio are very nice, but whatever white wine you have is fine)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 bunch pot herbs
- 1 teaspoon mint, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 cup peas
- 6 pears, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk, only
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Have eels cleaned, skinned and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Combine 2 cups water, wine, vinegar, 2 sprigs parsley, onion, one carrot, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt; bring to a boil and cook for five minutes.
- Add eel and cook slowly until fish is tender.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large kettle; add the 1 1/2 tablelspoons flour and cook until blended.
- Add beef stock, pot herbs, mint and celery; cook slowly for one hour.
- Cook cauliflower and peas in boiling salted water until crisp-tender.
- Make a syrup of 1/2 cup water and sugar; cook pears until tender.
- About 1/2 hour before serving make dumplings: heat milk and butter, beat eggs and yolk and add flour combined wit hot milk.
- Drop from spoon and cook in boiling salted water about 20 minutes.
- To serve, first remove eel from liquid in which it was cooked.
- Strain liquid and add half of it to meat broth.
- Drain the cooked vegetables and add to meat broth.
- Place eel, pears and dumplings in a large tureen and pour soup over all.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!