Ham Hocks and Beans
photo by miti511
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 10mins
- 2 -3 smoked ham hocks
- 1 bag michigan beans or 1 bag other dried beans
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Rinse the beans, soak in water overnight.
- Put the beans and the water into a large pan.
- Add the ham hocks and chopped onions.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook all day, up to 8 hours.
- More water can be added if needed or desired, depending on how thick you like your soup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Thirty some years ago, mom published the first Hawman Family Cookbook to give each of her three daughters a way to carry our favorite recipes from childhood off into the next phase of our lives. I still have the original pages, straight from the typewriter, with traces of whited-out type showing through the corrected lines, and with drips and grease stains highlighting my favorite recipes. With my own daughter now ready to head out on her own, it's time for an updated version complete with her favorites as well. I'm starting this project in January 2010, with a goal of completing the "new expanded edition" in time for Christmas presents in December. I'll be using Recipezaar to collect the recipes, but my hope is to publish my final book complete with the stories and pictures evoked by this memory book of family food. For that, I'm looking forward to countless conversations with my 81-year-old mother, sisters, and children as well as others in my extended family. Let the fun begin! Noelle