Grits and Greens
photo by mary winecoff
- Ready In:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 32 ounces chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1⁄2 of a 1 lb package of chopped fresh collard greens
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Combine whipping cream and 3 cups chicken stock in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in grits. Cook over medium heat until mixture returns to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until creamy.
- While grits cook, pour remaining 1 cup chicken stock into a large skillet; add greens. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until greens are tender and stock is absorbed.
- Add butter, cheese, and pepper to the grits, stirring well. Stir in cooked greens. Cook 1 minute or until grits and greens are thoroughly heated and the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum! We don't have original grits here so I just use polenta to make grits. Unluckily, we also don't have "collard greens" so I used rapini which I think is pretty close. All in all I guess my result was close enough to the original to give an authentic review ;-) I love this recipe, thanks for sharing! Made for FYC game
While I'm not big on collard greens, my other half isn't too fond of grits, so I played this recipe a bit like 'Jack Sprat & his wife,' & surprisingly enough we both enjoyed the taste of this dish! And, although I usually use bacon bits in recipes like this, I did have enough turkey bacon on hand & used that! Very nice, & well worth doing up again! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
I did not have any stone ground grits so I just used regular. The adults at the table loved this dish while the children did try it it wasn't a big hit with them. I thought it was wonderful. I used collards from the garden and cooked them before adding. Thanks for sharing. Made for Zaar Newest Tag game.