Grilled Sweet Onions
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- Peel onions.
- Cut, not quite through each onion making 8 sections.
- Cut 4 pieces of heavy duty foil into 24"x18" pieces.
- Fold each in 1/2 crosswise.
- Cut to make 12" squares.
- Place one onion in the middle of each square.
- together margarine or butter,mustard and hot pepper.
- Drizzle this over onions.
- Sprinkle each onion with the brown sugar.
- Bring up two opposite edges of each square and seal with double fold.
- Fold remaining two sides to enclose onion leaving room for steam to build.
- Cook over medium heat on a grill with a drip pan under the foil packets.
- Cover and grill for 25 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Cut a 2" opening in the top of each packet, cover and grill for 10 minutes more or until onions are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with pepper to taste.
- I'm sure this could also be bake in the oven on 350 degrees for the same time as grilling.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These onions are great - I did them in the oven,foil wrapped 350F for 20 minutes opened up for10 more minutes (Iremoved 2 from the foil for the picture).They were cooked and piping hot but still had a crunch to them - perfect. I used Brown sugar substitute. Loved the mustard, butter & hot sauce. They look lovely and they are ever so tasty thanks Doris for a keeper