Green Chile Burros
photo by lesliecoy
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 12 ounces pork roast, cooked (or chicken or beef )
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more to taste )
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 8 flour tortillas
- salsa, green (or red)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce
- one Hass avocado, sliced
- Combine all ingredients except tortillas in a saucepan and simmer until thickened. I slow cook mine for 60 minutes, shredding the meat as the sauce thickens. You can combine 1/4 cup flour with some of the liquid from the saucepan and add gradually until thickened if you want to speed up the process.
- Strain sauce out of the meat mixture and reserve.
- Divide some of the meat mixture on the 8 flour tortillas and fold two ends to the middle, same on the other sides.
- Keep burros warm in oven, 275 degrees, until ready to serve. Serve lightly toasted but be careful not to burn.
- Place two burros on each plate. You can at this point eat them sandwich style or you can, if you desire, pour the reserved sauce over the burros.
- Serve this way or along with shredded lettuce, avocado,topped with salsa and cheddar cheese if you desire.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I Love to cook - and I am trying to find great recipes to help me stick to my diet - but also great recipes that let me do the cooking I enjoy. <br />I live in a cabin in Alaska with my husband, and our brown lab. <br />Husband enjoys skiing, fishing, and hunting, and I enjoy going along. <br />Mostly I enjoy trying out a great new recipe and adding it to our Favorites.</p>