Greek Garlic Sauce (Skorthalia)
Great on hot or cold seafoods and fried or boiled vegetables.
- Ready In:
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 slices day-old white bread
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Pound garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mortar until smooth.
- Add mashed potatoes and continue to pound and stir with pestle.
- Soak bread (crusts removed)in cold water and squeeze dry.
- Add to potatoes and garlic, pounding and stirring until smooth.
- Gradually add olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar, stirring vigorously.
- When smooth and light, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in a covered bowl before using.
- Variation: Replace bread with 1/2 cup ground almonds or walnuts, or use 1 1/2 cups of ground almonds or walnuts instead of the potatoes and bread.
- Blender method: Put all ingredients in a blender and blend at moderate speed until ingredients are pulverised. Sure beats all that pounding!
- Increase speed for a few seconds until light and smooth. Do not blend for too long for the mixture heats and the oil separates.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION