Grandma Young's Refrigerator Rolls
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast (1 package)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (water in which the potatoes have been cooked for mashed potatoes)
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled
- 6 -8 cups flour
- Mix sugar in warm water, then dissolve yeast.
- Pour liquid into bowl of stand mixer with flat beater attached. Add mashed potatoes (don't worry if a few small lumps remain), shortening, salt, eggs and milk, creaming thoroughly.
- Mix in two cups flour.
- Change to dough hook and work in as much of remaining flour as possible.
- Place in greased bowl away from drafts and let rise until double.
- Punch dough down, then shape into your choice of roll shapes, leaving unused dough in sealed bowl for later use. If I make the full recipe, it makes a very full lasagna pan of rolls. Be sure to grease the pan using butter or margarine; it makes removing the rolls easy and adds flavor to the crust.
- Let shaped rolls rise for approximately one hour, then bake at 350° until golden brown and lightly browned on the bottom. Timing will depend on size and shape of rolls.
- Once rolls are baked and removed from oven, brush with melted butter (or unwrap part of a stick of butter or margarine and rub it along the tops of the rolls).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!