Grandma Hall's Sweet Cucumber Pickles
photo by Chef Teer
- Ready In:
8 pint jars
- 7 lbs sliced large cucumbers (peeled and seeded)
- 1 cup pickling lime
- 1 quart vinegar
- 1 pint vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 5 lbs sugar
- cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon dried vegetable flakes
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1st day-.
- Slice cucumbers peeland de-seed and soak in 2 gallons of water with 1 cup lime.
- 2nd day-.
- Rinse cucumbers good and mix the sugar and other spices and rinsed cucumbers in vinegar mixture and soak for 12 hours. Cover rinsed cucumbers with ice while mixing vinegar mixture. Be sure to drain cucumbers well, before adding to liquid.
- 3rd day-.
- Drain vinegar off cucumbers and heat to boiling, then add cucumbers and cook 20 minutes. Pack in jars and seal while hot. Can use green food coloring if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!