Serrano Lime Cucumber Pickles
photo by carons67
- Ready In:
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes
- 3 lbs pickle cucumbers
- 8 shallots or 8 winter onions
- 16 serrano peppers
- Ball pickle crisp, if canning
- If canning, sterilize 8 jars, lids and rings.
- Mix first five ingredients in a large pot. Bring the brine to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice cucumbers. Strip skins off of winter onion (or shallot) bulbs. Slice serranos in half length-wise, keeping the seeds inside.
- When equipment is sterilized and brine is cooled, pack each jar with cucumbers, 4 serrano slices and one winter onion (shallot). Sprinkle a rounded 1/8 teaspoons of Pickle Crisp on top (if canning).
- Using a funnel, pour brine into each jar. If canning, follow standard instructions.
- If canning, process for 15 minutes. Otherwise, cover and place in refrigerator.
- Let brine for two weeks if refrigerated, or three weeks if canned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!