Grandma G's Mushroom Risotto
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup dried orzo pasta or 3/4 cup rosamarina pasta (looks like large rice)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- Cook orzo according to package directions.
- In a large skillet cook mushrooms and garlic in butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Add cheese, almonds, and tarragon; cook and stir until cheese has melted.
- Stir in cooked orzo.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with snipped chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Really flavorful. I chose this as a Pick A Chef recipe Nov '04. I used the rosamarina pasta and followed the recipe as written except I added just a bit more cheese (I shredded a bit too much). It's creamy, and I LOVE the crunch of the almonds. I took a couple of pics, but they came out blurry - my camera battery is really low. Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm the mother of 2 (boy and a girl), currently 3 grandchildren (all girls), 1 Chihuahua (Bebe` Chico), and at last count 8-yard cats. Too many of my city friends believe I live a pretty boring life in the country. But country life is perfect for me. For fun I travel around the state visiting country fairs and craft shows. I own more gardening and craft books than cook books, that's what drew me to recipezaar. My passions are cooking, gardening, scrapbooking, sewing and spending time with my family.</p> <p>My biggest problem right now is finding time to spend on this wonderful site. Last summer I did start back up canning and I even purchased a pressure canner so now I'm canning a little more than just jams and jellies.<br /> <br />I'm so glad to see so many people are enjoying my Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe, and it pleases me to know you are receiving great compliments on the juicy bird! <br /> <br />Thank you all for your wonderful comments, Lots of Love.. ~GMaw~</p>