Gooey Chocolate Stack
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From Nigella Lawson's "How To Be A Domestic Goddess"
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Chocolate creme patissiere
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pistachios (or almonds)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line the baking sheets with parchment and draw and 8-inch circle in each one with a bow or cake pan and use that to outline it.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff, then add sugar a spoonful at a time, beating in well after each addition. It takes patience. Sprinkle over the cocoa and vinegar and fold in gently but firmly.
- Divide the meringue disks among the 3 circles, spreading evenly. Don’t worry about beating the air out of them.
- Cook for 1 hour, then turn off the oven, leaving the meringues until cool. If you keep them in an airtight container in-between parchment paper they will keep for a week.
- Now for the creme patissiere: Beat the egg yolks and sugar togethe, then add the cocoa and flour, whisking well. Warm the milk and cream in a saucepan, then, whisking, pour this onto the eggs and sugar before pouring everything back into the saucepan on the heat, stirring constantly, bring it to a boil. When the mixture has thickened, take it off the heat and stir in the melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Let it cool now, but avoid putting it in the refrigerator as it will become too solid. You can stop it forming a askin either by covering it with buttered parchment paper. Another option is to stick it in a bowl of ice water and keep stirring it until it is cold.
- To assemble the cake place one of the meringues discs on a flat plate or cake stand, spread with a third of the chocolate creme, then carry on layering. Spread the top with chopped nuts of your choice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION