Golomki (Cabbage Rolls)
- Ready In:
12-14 12-14 cabbage rolls
- Buy a medium head of cabbage,that is not firm.Remove core from whole head of cabbage with a sharp knife.Scald or par-boil the cabbage in boiling salted water.Remove and allow to cool before handling.Than remove a few leaves at a time,and trim down the the thick ridge on back of leaves to make it easier for rolling.
- Wash rice after partially cooked (cook about 10 minutes) in salted water,strain and run cold water through rice in strainer.At this stage rice is about half cooked.
- Chop and saute onion in butter until it becomes transparent.
- Combine with meat,eggs rice,and seasonings,mix well.
- Spread each leaf (on thick end) with the meat mixture to about 3/4 inch thickness,fold the two opposite sides and roll,starting with the thick end.
- Place rolls in buttered casserole dish and pour over cabbage rolls a can of tomato soup diluted and bake covered at 325 degrees for about 2 hours or until brown and tender.Check in about an hour to make sure tomato soup did not cook out add more if needed.After 2 hour check cabbage rolls for being done if still pink,cook and check every 15 minutes till done.
- These rolls may be cooked or baked in sauerkraut if perferred.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Learned how to cook at a very young age parents owned a lunchonette so I had to learn how to cook or starve had to run the business when they were away or to help out when busy.I enjoy cooking and cook for my family enjoy doing full soup to nut meals,plus I love baking cakes,pie ,and cookies,etc.Do civil war reenacting for a hobby and also enjoy doing the cooking for the unit,something about cooking over an open campfire that makes the food taste even better.