Ginger's "Dorito" Soup (Spicy Tomato Soup)
photo by CulinaryExplorer
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 7 ounces water (half can)
- 7 7 ounces lowfat 1% low-fat milk or 7 ounces skim milk (Just not buttermilk, evaporated or powdered milk.)
- 2 -4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (or cheese of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon texas pete hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- saltine crackers or butter flavored cracker
- In saucepan, combine tomato soup, water and milk.
- Stir until reasonably blended.
- Add grated cheese, hot pepper sauce, crushed red pepper and black pepper.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often.
- Continue heating until cheese has melted into soup.
- Add salt, stir well.
- Pour into bowls or cups, and serve with crackers (I crush mine into the soup).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I doubled the hot sauce and red pepper flakes and could still add more heat to it, but didn't for the kids' sake. :) I think chipotle would be a good addition, as well. I also thinly sliced some corn tortillas and baked them to make tortilla shreds for garnish. This is a great way to use up some of my tomato soup that I got at a great deal. Thank you!
This soup is a good idea, but I'm just not so sure about the cheese. I used 2% Cheddar and it refused to melt completely so it was just sort of floating around. I think you'd be better off just sprinkling some cheese on top just before serving. Also, I wanted to make a complete meal of this so I added some pre-cooked meatballs and some egg noodle. Very different and interesting.
see 19 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a country girl, born and raised in North Carolina. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting all around the world, but at least it's nice to try some of their cuisine :) I'd love to travel to all the places with the fantastic dishes and enlightening cultural differences, maybe one day. I have a passion for music, poetry and of course COOKING!!! :)