- Ready In:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄3 cups pecan halves, toasted, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F; line large baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk flour, 2/3 cup sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and baking soda in large bowl.
- Add butter; using fingertips, blend butter into flour until coarse meal forms. Toss in pecans and 1/2 cup crystallized ginger.
- Whisk 1 cup buttermilk, grated ginger, and vanilla in measuring cup.
- Form well in center of dry ingredients.
- Add buttermilk; stir with fork until moist clumps form. Transfer to lightly floured surface.
- Knead just until dough comes together; divide in half.
- Form each half into 61/2-inch disk. Cut each disk into 6 wedges. Transfer to sheet.
- Brush with 11/2 tablespoons buttermilk. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger; press to adhere.
- Bake scones until golden and toothpick inserted horizontally into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool scones on sheet on rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Someone special recently gifted me with membership ~ I don't know who, but know they are special :D! Thank you! It is much appreciated.... My parents owned a grocery store when I was growing up, so there's my love of FOOD! My friends all love to drink, so there's my profession! I stopped bartending 5 years ago, when my son was born, but still 'do' private parties. DH and I did a 'Supper Club' for a while, but life kept getting in the way! I am a SAHM, to a rambunctious 5 y.o....I LOVE cooking and collect cookbooks and anything kitchen related! I'm kinda picky, but will just drop an ingredient or make a sub, so I can still try a recipe. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment here, and hope to participate in some events soon! Thanks to everyone for posting such great recipes, and if you review mine, just know that I appreciate the time and effort involved in the reviewing process! <img src="http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/z_fbp/ZaarFBPwk4.jpg"> <img src="http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/z_fbp/ZaarFBPwkWC.jpg"> <img src="http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg"> <a href="http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=220958"><img src="http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/beveragetagcookbook1.gif"></a> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookbookParticipation2.jpg"> Partnered with chef#724631 <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> Co-hosted: <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg" border="0" alt="New Kids Participation Banner"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src ="http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/lazymecookathon.jpg"> <a href="http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/ribosomal/?action=view¤t=BBB2b3.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/ribosomal/BBB2b3.jpg" border="0" alt="BBBZWT%"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/BBG-AMbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7505/mybanner4a394ee84d5f0.jpg" > <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/MyBannerMaker_Banner3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/dcmac/PAC%20Fall%2009/Image1.jpg"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/holidayprmr2.jpg"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/ST_AMBADGE.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src= "http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/alligirl65/thesnowmorning-3-1-1.jpg">