Garantita (Algerian Chickpea Pie)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup oil (not olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- ground cumin, for sprinkling
- harissa (optional)
- Combine flour, water, oil, salt and pepper in food processor until mixture is smooth.
- Pour into glass or metal pan at least 6x10-inch.
- Pour the beaten egg over.
- Bake 375° for 1 hour or until top becomes golden.
- Sprinkle with cumin.
- Slice and serve on baguette with harissa or other hot sauce.
Join The Conversation
I am so thankful I tried this recipe amongst other recipes that say to add eggs. I've tried with eggs but it always comes out horrible and tough. I'm only 14 and tend to over think things when I'm baking because I'm not experienced with it, but this is was so easy you could practically eyeball the measurements and come out with something just as delicious. Some advice for new bakers making this: - It's perfectly normal if your batter is very very watery, it will bake. - Don't worry about precision when it comes to measuring, this is a sloppy pie and doesn't require much thought. - It's better to not over bake it, 1 hour is perfectly good for this. If you overbake, it will get rubbery and not as creamy as you would hope for. Thank you to @duonyte for your help with answering my questions :)
I also have a question regarding the food processor. Is it necessary or can I just mix it with a whisk? I don't have much modern kitchenware so my options are limited down to just doing things the old fashioned way. I know the answer might be pretty obvious but I'm not that good when it comes to baking so I'm just making sure ??