Frozen Strawberry Souffle
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe is from chef Gary Robins. It was printed in the June 2, 2003 issue of NY Magazine ("Italian Summer Pleasures from Antipasto to Gelato"). Cook time = Overnight freezing time
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 40mins
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 3 ounces whole blanched hazelnuts (almonds can be substituted)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 lb strawberry, stemmed and hulled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 ounces hazelnut pralines, crushed coarsely
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- remaining hazelnut praline
- 6 strawberries
- 6 sprigs mint
- Praline: Lightly oil a sheet pan.
- Melt the sugar in a small sauce pan, over low heat, increasing the temperature gradually.
- Continue to cook until the sugar turns golden brown (swirl, but do not stir).
- Immediately fold in the hazelnuts, and quickly spread the mixture on the sheet pan.
- The caramel will start to set very quickly.
- When the praline has cooled and is hard, break it into small pieces; set 6 pieces aside for the garnish, and finely crush the remaining praline.
- Souffle: Cut six 13-by-4-inch strips of parchment or aluminum foil.
- Form into collars around six 6-ounce ramekins, and tape or tie in place.
- Cut a quater of the strawberries into 1/4-inch chunks, and toss with 3 Tablespoons of sugar.
- Set aside to macerate for 20 minutes.
- Puree the remaining strawberries in a blender or food processor, and reserve.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually sift in the remaining sugar, and whip until a stiff, light meringue forms.
- Fold in the orange zest, crushed praline, drained macerated strawberries, and strawberry puree.
- Whip the cream until stiff and fold into the strawberry meringue along with the amaretto.
- Ladle the mixture into the prepared ramekins, filling them to 1/2 inch from the top of the collars.
- Set on a tray and freeze overnight.
- (The souffles will keep in the freezer for week).
- Remove the parchment, and garnish each souffle with a fresh strawberry, a piece of praline, and a sprig of mint.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION