photo by riffraff
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- Put sliced okra in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt, liberally.
- Cover with very cold water.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Drain, rinse, drain again.
- Roll slices in seasoned cornmeal until well coated.
- Fry in hot oil about 1/2" deep until browned and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels, serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Born in OKC & now live in AZ. I grow okra easily in in AZ. Hubby and I pick about 100 pods, cut just as this recipes says only I put it directly into a clear plastic bag. Next I dice some sweet onion and place with the cut okra in the bag. I then add corn meal (Quaker Brand) and shake to coat evenly,, Add okra to hot Crisco shorting and cook over med to med-lo heat for apx 45 minutes so that okra is crispy (stir often). Transfer to paper towel to drain and salt to taste. Currently I have 3 rows of okra growing (60 plants). I get on average 60 (40 to 100) pods a day. I have 1 mutant purple okra plant that came from the same seed pod that the rest of the plants came from. Taste is the same as the others.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mom to 4 boys, city dweller, eater, craft beer enthusiast, original Recipezaar member.