Crispy Oven-Fried Eggplant
- Ready In:
- 1hr 39mins
- 2 eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup self rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil
- Sprinkle both sides of eggplant rounds evenly with salt.
- Place on layers of paper towels and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Soak eggplant in buttermilk about 30 minutes.
- Combie flour and next 4 ingredients.
- Drain eggplant slices and dredge in flour mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into large cast iron skillet.
- Heat to 375 degrees.
- Fry eggplant 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Join The Conversation
This recipe produced the best fried eggplant I have ever eaten! I didn't follow the directions because I needed to get this together quickly and they still came out fantastic. I didn't sprinkle them with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes and I also probably only soaked them in buttermilk for maybe 10 minutes. They still fried up crispy on the outside and the flavoring was perfect. I normally soak my eggplant in milk, but now I believe the secret to great fried eggplant is the soaking in buttermilk. I loved the addition of the cayenne! I didn't measure how much I used, but it was probably about 1/2 teaspoon. Did I mention how delicious these were??? Totally great recipe, Luby! Thank bunches for sharing it with us. This one is definitely going in my permanent recipe box to be made over and over again. UPDATE: I also used this recipe to fry squash. It worked wonderfully with the squash also!