Zesty Lasagna (Southern Living)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 (12 ounce) carton small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- Brown ground beef and garlic in a heavy skillet over medium heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble meat, drain.
- Stir in the tomato paste, water, mushrooms, bay leaves, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and oregano.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Combine cottage cheese and sour cream in a medium bowl; stir well.
- Layer half each of noodles, meat sauce, and cottage cheese mixture in a greased 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers of noodles, meat sauce and cottage cheese mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!