Fresh Apple Cake With Caramel Glaze
Found this in a Southern cookbook by Miss Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock, and I can't really put how good this tasted into words. I KNOW you folks will like this one.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 fresh apples, peeled and diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsley chopped pecans
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Put sugars and vegetable oil in a mixing bowl, beat til very well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, and gradually stir into sugar and eggs, mixing til just blended.
- Stir in apples, pecans, and vanilla.
- Pour into buttered and floured 9x13" baking pan, and bake in oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (about 1h 15 min.), begin checking after about 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, make glaze, by melting butter in saucepan, add both sugars and salt.
- Stir til blended and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in cream, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Use a skewer or toothpick and poke holes all over top of cake, then pour warm glaze all over surface.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This cake is a huge hit with family & guests! I was just going to post this, but glad someone else has posted! I do do a couple of things different: I omit the nuts, sometimes add an extra granny smith apple, & I like to add more cinnamon. We like to eat it, hot, cold, room temp, with the caramel glaze, with a dollop of whip cream on top, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream~ we just like to eat this cake!! It's a perfect fall treat.