French Spring Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 bunch leek, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, chopped or 1 package frozen asparagus
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach or 1 package frozen spinach, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup raw rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream or 1/2 pint half-and-half
- Wash leeks well.
- Saute leeks and onions in butter until limp.
- Add 2 quarts water, carrot, potatoe, asparagas, and rice, and simmer 25 minutes.
- Add spinach and cream- simmer 5 minutes more (Note- this soup is actually better if allowed to sit for a while).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Papergoddess; I am a soup lover and especially vegetable soups. Now, this soup has a good variety of veggies, the taste was extra ordinary and we just loved it. My DW will not eat soups that have any meat or fish. So, she thoroughly enjoyed this one. The only thing that I added was some white pepper. I used 3 medium size leeks as I was not sure what you meant by a bunch. Everything else remained as noted. This will be a soup at least once a month. We have soup every day with our dinner. Thank you for sharing this soup recipe with us. "Uncle Bill"