Seasoned Freezer Coleslaw
photo by Catnip46
- Ready In:
- 1 large cabbage, shredded
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium green pepper, shredded
- 1 small onion, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, green pepper and onion.
- Add sugar and toss to coat.
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, mustard, and celery seed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Coleslaw may be frozen up to 3 months, remove from the freezer 2 hours before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is really good, sweet sour taste. But it definitely needs more sugar it was to sour. I added more sugar to it once I defrosted and tasted it. Other recipes are calling for 2 cups sugar to 1 cup vinegar and this is how I will make it from now on. <br/>I couldn't believe how crispy and fresh it tasted and I had it in the freezer for 3 months.
I made this one month ahead for a crowd I was having here for a party. It was absolutely delicious and it got rave reviews! I must say I was a little nervous throwing this in the freezer, I thought it would be wilty, but it turned out great. I highly recommend this one, especially if you want to have a great make ahead dish. Thanks for a well written and easy to follow recipe!
see 4 more reviews