Foie Gras on a Bed of Pears
- Ready In:
- Srinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the foie gras and keep at room temperature.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pear slices and brown sugar. Caramelize, turning often. Place the caramelized pears on two warm plates.
- Sear the foie gras on each side over medium-high heat in the frying pan (cooking time is delicate as it can vary from 15 seconds to 1 minute per side, depending on the thickness of the foie gras).
- Place the foie gras on the pears.
- Deglaze the frying pan with the balsamic vinegar, then add the cider (or apple juice) and the rosemary. Let it reduce a little, then pour over the foie gras. Decorate with a sprig of fresh rosemary.
- Try serving with a little green salad, using any remaining sauce as the dressing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a simple and very tasty first course. My pears were firmer than required but ended up cooking them for longer. They need to be slightly firm to give the dish a bit of texture. I layered the ingredients with pears on bottom, a few mesclun salad leaves and then foie gras and a sprig of rosemary for garnish. The balsamic sauce drizzled over the dish cut the richness of the foie gras with a few drops to decorate the plate. Highly recommended for foie gras lovers!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an American living in France these past 20+ years. I am a wife, mother, English teacher (in a French high school), vegetarian, big-time history buff, small-time whisky enthusiast, amateur baker, and expert procrastinator. When I'm not finding creative solutions to put things off that really shouldn't be, I can be found in my kitchen baking treats for my family. I used to bake using cake mixes and such, until I moved to France, where decent mixes are nowhere to be found (or cost a small fortune if you do find them). So if I wanted an American-style dessert, I had no choice but to make it from scratch using French ingredients. Yum! Baking quickly became my favorite hobby and I henceforth banned all mixes from my kitchen!