Flavorful Grilled Chicken Kabobs
This originally stems from a Cook's Illustrated recipe. The homemade bbq sauce is replaced with bottled. I don't think the original recipe's sauce was anything special nor worthy of the effort to make. What is worth the effort is the bacon rub.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes) or 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs (trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- fresh ground black pepper (can sub chipotle powder)
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes before using
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, divided (Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory works well)
- Toss chicken and salt in large bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Heat gas grill to medium high.
- While grill heats, pat chicken dry with paper towels. Combine sweet paprika, sugar, smoked paprika and pepper or chipotle powder in small bowl.
- Process bacon in food processor until a smooth paste forms, 30 to 45 seconds, scraping down bowl twice during processing. Add bacon paste and spice mixture to chicken; mixing with hands or rubber spatula until ingredients are thoroughly blended and chicken is completely coated.
- Thread meat onto skewers, rolling or folding meat as necessary to maintain 1-inch cubes.
- Place kebabs on grill, turning one-quarter turn every 2 to 2 1/2 minutes until well browned and slightly charred, about 8 minutes for breasts or 10 minutes for thighs. Brush top surface of kebabs with 1/4 cup sauce; flip and cook until sauce is brown in spots, about 1 minute. Brush second side with remaining 1/4 cup sauce; flip and continue to cook until brown in spots until cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Remove kebabs from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve, passing reserved barbecue sauce separately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These kabobs are wonderful and we loved the paprika mixed with the bacon and spices. They grilled up so quick and they were nice and moist. I am always looking for recipes that my grandchildren will love and these kabobs will definitely be a hit with them since it includes Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce as well. Made for Spring PAC, April, 2012.2Reply