Family Reunion Baked Macaroni and Cheese
photo by mareedee
- Ready In:
1 9 X 13 casserole
- 1 lb macaroni (your favorite, I used shells)
- 6 cups cheese (shredded, your choice, I used a combination of cheddar and colby)
- 5 cups milk (I used whole)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- Cook pasta, only al-dente. You will be cooking it in the oven, so you don't want to overcook it. Rinse with cool water and drain well. Return to pan with a little butter to prevent sticking and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt 6 Tbs. butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Add flour, salt, black pepper, dry mustard, and paprika. Stir constantly for 3 minutes. Add milk, whisking constantly for 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly stir into your beaten egg to temper the egg. Add the egg mixture to the sauce.
- Add 4 cups of the shredded cheese to the sauce, return pan to heat, stirring until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over pasta.
- Pour 1/2 of the pasta into a 9 X 13 casserole dish, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the remaining shredded cheese. Repeat with the remaining pasta and cheese.
- Melt 2 Tbs. butter and combine with your bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of pasta.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until top is bubbly and starting to brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span style=color: #0000ff;><em><strong>I was born and raised in Oklahoma, so I am a country girl at heart. I have been living in the Philippines the last 4 years and finally have had the time to learn to cook real home-cooked meals.</strong></em></span></p>