Edie's Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread
From a TOH booklet I found at a yard sale and submitted by Edie D. from Utah. This makes 2 loaves so beware! It freezes well but if you really only want one loaf, please halve the recipe. A pretty easy recipe to stir up. Moist and full of flavors.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded (wash and clean or cut off any bad marks, but leave on peel)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare two 8x4x2 inch loaf pans by spraying with non-stick spray or greasing with butter or shortening.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, oil, orange peel and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened (do not over mix or it will cause a very dense bread).
- Gently fold in the zucchini, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter evenly into the two prepared bread loaf pans.
- Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes or until a pick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before inverting bread onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Do not attempt to slice until bread is completely cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Yummy zucchini bread recipe! I enjoyed the addition of chocolate chips, walnuts and orange zest! Those ingredients made this zucchini bread a bit different. I made the 2 loaves and am giving one away. It would also be a good idea to freeze the extra! Thank you for a yummy recipe. Made for I recommend tag game.
I also made half the recipe with 1 egg. I used probably 3/4 cup sugar for half recipe. Perfect. Sweet enough with the chocolate chips. I used only cinnamon so doubled the quantity. And I didn't use walnuts. I made muffins. They turned out great and moist. Love the flavor! Thanks Melissa :) Made for 123 hit wonders
A true winner indeed! It was moist and soft with great chocolate flavour! Mmmm!<br/>I made half the recipe using only 1 egg, whole spelt flour and decreasing the sugar and oil a tad. It came out very good nonetheless and I could eat more of it that way. lol<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this great, great recipe with us, HokiesLady!<br/>Made and reviewed for WTTM January 2011.