Danish Meatballs in Curry Sauce (Boller I Karry)
photo by rpgaymer
- Ready In:
- 150 g ground lean pork
- 150 g lean ground turkey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 egg
- 100 ml milk
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- coarse salt
- tops celery (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1 small apple, peeled and shredded
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups of water from the meatballs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- Mix the meats with salt, add scallion, pepper, egg and mix again. Add the milk bit by bit along with the flour. Let the meatballs rest for about 30 min in the fridge (I usually skip this step).
- Boil approx 6 cups of water with salt added approx 1 tsp in a large pot.If you have it add a few tops of selleri for added flavour.
- Stir the meatball dough again. Dip a large spoon in the water and take a spoonful of meatball dough and form into a ball. Place the ball in the water. (I usually form all the meatballs first and put on a plate while I wait for the water to boil, no stress and all meatballs can be placed in the water at the same time).
- The meatballs should measure about the same diameter as when you make the OK sign with thumb and pointy finger :) - approx 2 inch.
- Lower heat to a simmer when all meatballs are in the pot. Boil/simmer until the meatballs feels hard when pressed with a finger, approx 8-10 minute.
- Remove from the water.
- Take approx 3 cups of water the meatballs were cooked in, run it through a sieve and reserve for the sauce.
- Melt the butter at high heat but do not let it brown; add scallion and let them fry for 1 minute
- Reduce heat to medium and add curry and shredded apple. Stir 1 min and add the flour and stir until completely combined. Add tarragon.
- Stir in the water from the meatballs a bit by bit (approx 2 1/2 - 3 cups depending on how thick you want your sauce). You can always use chicken broth if you run out of the water from the meatballs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if necessary and let the sauce simmer for 5 minute.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce 5 min before serving and let them warm through in the sauce
- Serve with rice,.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love fusion dishes like this! I've never had meatballs in a curry, and in fact have never had a Danish curry- I thought it tasted great. A great melding of European and Indian flavors- very cool. I do not eat pork, so I just used ground turkey instead- it worked fine for me. I skipped the toppings and just served the curry over rice with mango chutney and tamarind chutney.
WOW, this is scrumptious and as a bonus it's very healthy. In my opinion it didn't need any of the suggested toppings and was also a healthier meal by skipping then. This supplied so much flavor it stand alone perfect. I used rice with some veggies minced very small mixed into it. This made a very satisfying meal with a cup of Recipe #420725.