Crusty White Bread
photo by fizzybrat
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 6 - 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups four, mix well.
- Add enough remaining dough to make dough easy to handle.
- turn out dough into lightly floured, cloth covered surface and knead till smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in oiled bowl and brush top with oil.
- Cover dough with a damp cloth, and let dough rise 1 hr, or until doubled.
- Punch down dough and divide in half.
- Roll each half into a 9x18 inch rectangle, and starting at she short side, roll up into a roll.
- Press down ends of roll to seal, and tuck ends under roll.
- Place roll in greased loaf pan, seam side down and cover with damp cloth. Repeat with other roll. Let rise 1 hr, or until doubled.
- Heat oven to 400F and bake approx 35 minute Loaves should be golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!