Crusty Grilled Peppercorn Steaks
This is sort of like a Steak au Poivre prepared outdoors on the grill. Great for a special occasion cookout.
- Ready In:
- 6 (10 -12 ounce) beef shell steaks (or strip steaks)
- 1 garlic clove, bruised, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (or as needed)
- 1 cup cracked peppercorns, preferably a blend of black and white (approximate amount) or 1 cup fresh coarse ground black pepper (approximate amount)
- salt, to taste
- Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Rub both sides of each steak with garlic, then brush lightly with olive oil.
- Line large baking sheet or tray with waxed paper. Spread thin layer of pepper on plate, lightly coat both sides of steak with pepper, and place on waxed paper. Repeat with remaining steaks and additional pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare charcoal for grilling (or heat broiler).
- Just before grilling, lightly salt both sides of steaks. Grill steaks over hot fire or broil 4 inches from heat until browned and crusty on outside but still pink at center, about 5 minutes each side for medium-rare.
- Transfer steaks to serving plates and serve at once.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 7 more