Crumble-Topped Berry Muffins
photo by stormylee
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 30 g butter (cold)
- 75 ml sugar
- 200 ml whole wheat flour
- 200 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 150 ml sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 75 ml oil or 75 ml melted butter
- 1 egg
- 175 ml buttermilk (or half quantity each of plain yogurt and milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 200 g red currants (or other berries)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Put the topping ingredients in a bowl and rub them together until you have a crumbly mix. Set aside.
- Sieve the flours and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add sugar and nutmeg. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients: oil (or melted butter), egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix gently to just combine. Add the berries and stir. Do not overmix!
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases, then sprinkle on the crumble topping.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!