Crock Pot Chinese Chicken With Pineapple
Tasty Chinese dish made in the crock pot!
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 4 chicken thighs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (300 g) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat crock pot on high.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken on all sides, transfer to crock pot.
- Mix all remaining ingredients, except the cornstarch, into the skillet and heat through, stirring well, transfer to crock pot.
- Turn crock pot to low and cook for 8 hours until chicken is tender, depending on your crock pot.
- Half an hour before serving, blend the cornstarch with a little water and stir into the crock pot to thicken sauce.
- Serve on rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very easy and delicious! I added zucchini too, and will probably add even more veggies next time. At the end I ladled out the sauce and boiled it on the stove for a while to thicken it up. It still didn't get too thick but was very flavorful. I have recommended this to several friends already!Reply
This was alright. I used reduced sodium soy sauce and sodium less chicken broth, which is probably why it was less flavorful than others experienced. My husband and I are anti excessive salt people and I think this would have been one of the times it would have made a positive difference. I also threw in the frozen breasts like others did and by the time it was done the chicken was really tender. We might try it again but we aren't in any hurry.Reply
I loved this - as did my husband. My 1 year old daughter ate the chicken but my picky (VERY picky) 3 year old said yuck. Taking advice from some others, I doubled (or tripled, I wasn't measuring) the sugar and doubled the ginger. I also used a 10 oz bag of frozen 3 pepper and onion mix (instead of the pepper and onion called for) and 3 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts. I didn't brown it or anything, I just threw the "rocks" of chicken in, covered with the frozen veggies, and added the ingredients. After several hours, I stirred. Also, when I added the cornstarch, I doubled it, thinking that would help the syrupy texture. Good plan - on high for one hour, the sauce was delicious! The only thing I would do next time differently is add 1 or 2 more frozen chicken breasts! YUM!Reply
I tried it and its good but it does need more seasonings. Red pepper flakes and maybe even triple the brown sugar and soy sauce and double the ground ginger would be a good idea. Based on the reviews of others, I doubled the brown sugar, soy sauce and ginger and it still needs more. All in all a good recipe just need to tweak the seasonings to suite your individual taste.Reply
see 25 more