Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
I found this originally on About.com Southern Cooking. It's so simple to throw together in the morning. It's now a family favourite. Serving size depends on amount put on roll.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce in the crock pot.
- Add the chicken, try to coat it well in the sauce.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked all the way through.
- Then shred or cut up the chicken, and replace it in the BBQ sauce in the pot; mix it all up so all the pieces are coated.
- You can keep the crock pot on low to keep the chicken warm for serving on hard rolls.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was delicious, but only after tasting it and making some changes. I am only giving it 4 stars because I took others advice and decreased the amount of ketchup, it still tasted a little sweet so I added more soy sauce, ginger, and onion powder. After that it was delicious, it was spicy but we like spice so it was good for us. Definitely mix sauce, taste, and change accordingly to your own taste.
Great recipe that is also very versatile! I have made this with chicken breasts, but I also like to use bone-in chicken thighs because they are so much cheaper. I just remove the chicken skin before I put them in the crock pot and remove the bones and gristle when I pull the meat apart. It makes plenty of sauce, and I like that this recipe works with half-frozen meat.
I doubled the chicken and the sauce and cooked it on low for 7 hours, stirring three times just to keep sauce/chicken from every sticking to one spot or burning. Before eating, took the chicken out and shred on my cutting board then put back into the BBQ sauce in the crock pot and tossed the chicken and the sauce all together. Served on hamburger buns with a side of fritos. Sooooo easy and delicious!