BBQ Chicken and Chipotle Salad
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce (preferably Kansas City style-Sweet)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo (note, that is one chile, not one can of chiles)
- 2 lbs leftover bbq chicken or 2 lbs plain grilled chicken
- 1 small red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk together BBQ sauce and mayo.
- Finely chop chipotle and whisk into dressing.
- Discard bones from chicken and cut meat into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Finely chop enough onion to measure 1/3 cup.
- Finely chop bell pepper and cilantro and add to dressing with chicken and onion.
- Combine well.
- Season salad with salt& pepper.
- Serve in lettuce cups with a nice crusty baguette.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was so flavorful! We had them in lettuce cups. I did replace half the mayo with sour cream. Next time I may use all sour cream. I think some bacon would be good in this also. This is so versatile. I bet this dressing would be good over potato salad. Maybe even with a little lime added. Thanks for this excellent recipe!
I really enjoyed this one. I liked that mayo mixed with BBQ flavor, plus the added chipolte spice. We are a "low spice household" so I only added 1 pepper, which was the perfect amount. I used chicken from Recipe #33671 (crockpot whole chicken). Next time I will use larger pieces of chicken, otherwise, the texture was like chicken salad. Still with awesome taste, but for texture, larger pieces next time for me. The left overs were used for sandwiches with american cheese and crispy onions. YUM! I think next time I may not use the leaf on the first go around, but use bread, tortilla or something to hold this delicious mixture. This was great! Thank you!